Saturday, June 23, 2012

Get To The Point...What A Pencil Sharpener Should Do

Like many teachers, I struggle to keep the pencil sharpeners my class use in working order. This year my classroom went through two of them. Two brand new ones! They were not cheap either. Uhg! That's pretty typical from my experience. Usually, the engine fails from over use or someone tries to sharpen a crayon. 

So, when I started seeing other teachers blogging about a classroom friendly pencil sharpener I was curious. I contracted Troy Decoff about the sharpener that I had been reading about. He is a fellow teacher and the owner of Classroom Friendly Supplies. In the interest of being upfront with ya'll, I need to tell you that he provided me with the pencil sharpener in this blog post, but I'm sharing my own opinions.

This is the sharpener I received. I got the green one. You can use it with or without the clamp. I liked the added stability of the clamp, but it did take me several attempts to get it on well enough to stabilize the sharpener. Even though I preferred the clamp, my daughter preferred to tote it around and sharpen pencils on the floor and outside with her friends.


My daughter just turned five. She got the hang of the sharpener pretty quickly and wanted to sharpen all of the pencils in the house. In order to use the sharpener, you have to squeeze the two black squares at the top and pull it forward. Then, squeeze them again to insert your pencil. The pencil will be held in place for sharpening. The part you pulled forward will move back into the machine and will stop the pencil from over sharpening. Love that! My old sharpener ate pencils and I mean that literally. I also love how sharp the points were.


I did notice two things about this pencil sharpener that might be cons for some users. First, the sharpener left very small indentations on the pencils from where the pencils were held in place. The other thing was that it sharpened my number 2 pencils and my regular colored pencils beautifully, but it didn't sharpen my art pencils with softer tips. However, in the process of trying it on them I did learn that it is was very easy to get broken tips out of the sharpener. 

I intend to use this pencil sharpener in my classroom next year.  It's quiet. I sharpens regular pencils and regular colored pencils. The tips were amazingly sharp and they didn't break when I used them. My five-year-old was able to use it and empty it independently. Overall, I think it will be fabulous for my classroom. I also love that it sells for $24.99, which is less than the electric sharpeners that I had been using. 

If your interested in learning more about this sharpener or want to get your own, you can find out more here. 




10 comments:

  1. I love that pencil sharpener!! I have heard so many great things about it. I just looked in to getting one also!! Thanks for sharing!

    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really am looking forward to using mine in my classroom this year. It seems to be a great sharpener.

      Delete
  2. I've heard so many great things about this sharpener. I really need to get one!!

    Sara :)
    Smiling In Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sara! Thanks for stopping over and I really do think the sharpener is worth checking out.

      Delete
  3. I'm your newest follower! I just awarded you the One Lovely Blog Award. Stop by my blog to pick it up! :)

    Dixie
    Teachin' Little Texans

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dixie! Thank you very much for the award. You're blog is super cute.

      Delete
  4. I have a seperate sharpener for colored pencils & plastic wrapped pencils. Many of the sharpeners warn against sharpening those kinds of pencils. Really...lol! I really want to try the sharpeneryou mentioned. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a seperate sharpener for colored pencils & plastic wrapped pencils. Many of the sharpeners warn against sharpening those kinds of pencils. Really...lol! I really want to try the sharpeneryou mentioned. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have that sharpener and I LOVE it! You will not be disappointed:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It interest me to read a lot on your post. . . . thanks lot for showing it to me...keep it up . . .really much appreciated..
    vapor recovery tower

    ReplyDelete