Saturday, June 30, 2012

Start of Year Gifts Guest Post

Today's the day. It's the big blog hop. I wrote a guest post over at Journey of a Substitute Teacher. I'll be sharing how I stay prepared for substitutes. There's a freebie there for you too.  I am hosting Britney from Mrs. V's Adventures in Teaching who has written a wonderful guest post right here. Now, please welcome Britney who is writing her very first guest post and don't forget to check out the other fabulous blogs in today's blog hop at the bottom of this post.

This is my first guest post, and I am so excited to be here! I will begin by telling you a little bit about myself. My name is Britney, and I have been a third grade teacher for 5 years. However, next year, I am very excited to make the move to second grade! I love my job, and I can't imagine a more rewarding career. I enjoy hiking, swimming, reading, and hanging out with my friends and family! I also really enjoy teacher blogs. I have always loved reading them, so a few months ago I thought maybe I could start one! It has been so much fun. Check out my blog sometime at Mrs. V's Adventures in Teaching.

So, I thought and thought about my topic for this guest post. Then, I came up with a great topic. Then, I changed my mind, and came up with another topic. That happned about two more times. ( I have a tendancy to WAY over think things and worry about things! ) Finally I came up with something that I was very excited about. I know that as teachers we are always looking for cute things to do for our students at the beginning of the school year. I wanted to give my kids a cute gift when they come to meet the teacher, but I didn't want to spend a ton of money! I thought of this idea! I would give my students flash cards, wrap them nicely and add a cute label with a catchy phrase. Here is what I came up with:

This is what I will put on the students' desks when they come for open house night. 
The flash cards are inside the bag.

Here is a close up of the label.

I teach second grade, so I will use these addition labels. However, I also created some multiplication labels for those of you that teach older grades. They say, "We will have some fun TIMES this year". Not only is this a cute gift, but it willl also encourage students to practice their addition or multiplication facts at home! What teacher doesn't love that?!?! We all know how difficult it can be to get students to know their facts fluently, and every little bit of practice helps:)

Now, you may be thinking that all of this had to be expensive. No really! I found the bags at target, and they were 5 for $1.99. I bought two packs of tissue and that will be enough for all of my bags. I probably could have gotten away with 1 pack of tissue. I got my flash cards from the Dollar Store. I spent $34.00 total which means that I spent about $1.58 per student. However, you could wrap these in any way that you want to. If you don't want to buy the bags and tissue, you can just wrap your flash cards in some sort of clear wrap, and tie on the label with a ribbon! It is totally up to you.

As for the labels.....you can download them for FREE at my TpT store by clicking here.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my post! I hope that you find these labels helpful as you begin to think about back to school gifts:)














8 comments:

  1. This is such a cute idea. Then you could send home a tablet of sticky notes for them to put on their wall with sight words or letters on them and they could do flashlight-I spy for 'homework.' Love it.
    Marsha
    A Differentiated Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! We have "Meet the Teacher" night in about 3 weeks at my school. (I teach at a year round school.) This is just what I was looking for! Thanks for sharing!

    Dixie
    Teachin' Little Texans

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely LOVE this idea!! I always stress the importance of building a solid foundation on math facts from the beginning & this will be the perfect resource so they can do just that. Thanks for sharing!
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute open house idea! And hopefully it gets them to practice their math too!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a cute idea and such a great way to get kids motivated to practice facts! You did a very nice job as guest blogger! I'm having a giveaway so stop by my blog if you have a chance!

    Jeannine
    First Grade Gallery~Lessons for Little Learners

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute! Cute! Cute!

    I can't wait to share this with my teaching partner... She's the math girl. :)

    Abby @ Third Grade Bookworm

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have so enjoyed this blog hop. After a day and a half, I'm almost finished. It's been great. Glad I found your blog and became your newest follower!

    Cynthia
    2nd Grade Pad

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your blog and I'm so glad that I found it! I've selected your blog as one of my top 15 "One Lovely Blog" awards. If you have not already received this award, please check out my blog to see what you need to do to claim your award. :)

    Victoria Wise
    The Wise & Witty Teacher

    ReplyDelete