Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Saving Time On Bulletin Boards

When I started teaching I thought that I had to change my bulletin boards all of the time. After all, my teachers had. Each month or so I would head down to the teacher workroom and grab gobs of bulletin board paper. Then, I would stay late cutting, stapling, drawing, and trimming until I had a snazzy looking bulletin board.

Then, I realized that I was spending way to much time at school and started to figure out ways to cut back without impacting student learning. One of the areas I simplified was bulletin boards. Now, I decorate my boards so that they last.
First, I cover my bulletin boards in cheap, black, cotton fabric. It doesn't show staple holes or fade.
Next, I double up on solid color border around the edges of my bulletin boards. When I update my classroom I can just changes the borders, but I usually get 2-3 years out of the boarders before they need replaced.

Finally, I create easy ways to change out the materials on the board by hot gluing clothespins onto the top of the board to display anchor charts and using Stikki Clips for small pieces that I want to change out frequently. Student work can be switched out easily by stapling page protectors to the boards, using pushpins, or using Stikki Clips.
What do you do with your bulletin boards? Do you change them frequently or keep them up? Leave a comment and let me know. I'd love to hear from you.

As always, thanks for reading Grade School Giggles. Please take a second and follow me if you don't already. Thanks!

14 comments:

  1. You are a teacher after my own heart! This is exactly what I do. I learned a long time ago that I fretted over something that the students seldom paid attention to. Life became a little easier at that point. (I do use various colors of fabric.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooohhh! I never thought of using sheet protectors on the bulletin boards! Love it! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can also use gallon size Ziploc bags

      Delete
  3. I change my boards all the time but keep each of what goes with each board in a bag with a picture of what the board will look like when completed inside. That way you can also have others help set it up. The letters for that board stay with that board as well it makes it really organized.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great ideas! I like the idea of using cloth as the background. I have been using rolls of wrapping paper from the dollar store which looks a lot nicer than Bristol board. I also laminate everything so I can reuse it.
    Michelle
    PS. You inspired me to write my first real blog post on a bulletin board I created this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish we could still use fabric, the fire marshal in our city is a HUGE stickler and apparently fabric is less fire resistant than paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What about using Smart-Fab Fabric Roll?

      It is like landscaping fabric and comes in a 48"x40" roll. I would expect it to be more fire-retardant.

      Delete
    2. Most marine grade vinyl (available at JoAnn's Fabrics) is fire retardant. Use a 40% off coupon to purchase lots and cut the piece you need.

      Delete
    3. I would use several layers of fabric starting with what color I would need in May and lay the next month over the top of that and so forth. I usually used one color for more than a month (ex. orange for Sept. and Oct.) and just change the border

      Delete
    4. I would use several layers of fabric starting with what color I would need in May and lay the next month over the top of that and so forth. I usually used one color for more than a month (ex. orange for Sept. and Oct.) and just change the border

      Delete
  6. This is great! Any tips on hanging fabric instead of paper? Do you use staples? Does it loosen? I am debating switching over!

    Danielle
    Growing Special Seeds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love using fabric and I use staples along the edges, under the borders.

      Last year I tried Smart-Fab Fabric Roll and loved it. The same background lasted all year.

      I am switching rooms but I left it up for the new teacher who is going into my old classroom. I will tell her she can change it, but it is one less thing for her to worry about this month.

      Delete
  7. Where did you get the bee rug? I'm doing my room in a bee theme this year and that rug is just adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would advise that you trade with the ultimate Forex broker: AvaTrade.

    ReplyDelete