Monday, July 22, 2013

Teaching Map Skills With A Freebie

Although I now rely on my handy dandy iPhone and its GPS whenever I venture beyond my normal routes, I do know how to read a map. Even with all the technology around us our students need to know how to read a map too.


When I was first learning about cardinal directions I learned them using a mnemonic device that seriously grosses me out to think about since I hate, despise, and detest worms. Yuck! Anyway, I still use the same mnemonic device with my students. I have my students point up and then we move our arms clockwise as we state "Never eat soggy worms." Then we repeat the motion saying the directions "North...East...South...West."


We also learn about compass roses. A coloring sheet works well to start off this lesson. Here is a free one. We also learn to draw and read maps. When I taught first grade we even build islands out of salt dough showing land forms and then drew a map with a key and compass rose to go with it.


I also found this little song on YouTube to help teach cardinal directions.



How do you introduce your students to maps? Do you have any tricks or tips? Leave a comment and share them. It might just help another teacher out.

As always, thanks for taking the time to visit me at Grade School Giggles. Please take a second to follow me and I hope you will come back again soon.
This post has been linked up with the Manic Monday Linky Party at Classroom Freebies.


4 comments:

  1. I found you on Manic Monday.Thanks for sharing your awesome ideas and freebie.
    Yashika
    somewherebetweenfirstandthird.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned a different mnemonic deice. Never eat sour watermelons. Maybe that one wont gross you out each time! Love the site too! Thanks for all the info, tips, and links.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned a different mnemonic deice. Never eat sour watermelons. Maybe that one wont gross you out each time! Love the site too! Thanks for all the info, tips, and links.

    ReplyDelete